My Dearest Baby Boy,
We’ve known each other for well over nine years now and I am so proud of the little man that stands before me each day. Age 9 is a fantastic age.
I thought for your 9th birthday, I’d list a few fun facts about the number 9:
- When people say they’re “on cloud nine” … it usually means that they’re very happy. For Mommy, this kind of happiness could mean there’s a new Ryan Gosling movie coming soon.
- In French the word neuf means both nine and new — so for you, this rings so true: you’re nine and starting a new birthday year =D … How fun, right?!
- Nine judges sit on the United States Supreme Court — but if you ask Mommy, this doesn’t really matter as none of them really do anything but disagree and delay things. But, more on this subject when you’re about 18yrs old …
- A human pregnancy ordinarily lasts for nine months and the fact that you were born after roughly eight months proves that you’re extraordinary — just like I’ve been telling you since your birth.
You have grown to be such a beautiful and kind little boy. You gain a little more independence each day, much to Mommy’s bittersweet dismay. I will never in my life produce anything or anyone quite as unique and wonderful as you. And I look forward to the beautiful and kind man I’m so sure you’ll become.
I would like to take this moment to remind you of a few things, in case turning nine leaves you confused on some issues:
- You will never be too old to be put on “time out” and yes, it will ALWAYS feel that way when I say “you’re on time out!”
- Mommy will always be here to help with your boo boo’s … including the ones that will eventually be caused by unsavory little whores girls.
- I will never feel comfortable with you riding your bike or scooter that far away from me.
As I end yet another birthday letter to my precious baby boy, I reflect on the significance of this moment. From learning to walk to getting our apartment, we’ve accomplished many firsts together and yet there are so many more to come. So, as you enjoy your scooter ride through life, remember to be careful, look straight ahead, but don’t stray too far away from me.
Forever your #1 fan,
This has been the theme of my life as of late …
Filled with 2 parts sadness, 1 part feigned happiness …
Everything’s been … hazy.
Have you ever felt like you’re outside looking in?
Such has been life as of late …
Prone to random, hidden trickles of tears, followed by a smile
Continue reading As of Late …
My Dearest Baby Boy,
Eight years ago you made me the happiest Mommy in the world with your birth!
It has been:
8 wonderful years of loving you to pieces …
8 years of kissing your face …
8 years of mending your boo-boo’s … (including the invisible ones) …
8 years of in-depth
Continue reading Happy Birthday to the Love of My Life!
This evening, my little boy had something to do with making someone’s night very… serendipitous … in every sense of the word.
I left work at roughly 6:20pm this evening and ventured toward Park Avenue to collect my boy from his father …
I work on the West side — making the undesirable
Continue reading Serendipity
My Dearest, Baby Boy:
Seven whole years have passed since Dr. Martas sliced Mommy open with a scalpel … and yanked you out.
At this time, 7 years ago, I was laying up in a hospital bed, numb from the waste down and waiting for the next steps …
It was a happy and
Continue reading Happy Birthday, Sweet Pea!
I’ve been chasing sleep for hours! …
What the fuck is so interesting about staying awake past midnight, anyway?
Milk won’t help … it’ll just give me a tummy ache.
I’m 33 y/o … why am I still saying tummy –
… something just caught my eye …
… a shadowy figure
Continue reading Chasing Sleep
I sit here.
With random thoughts.
About how to get to sleep.
Not any of them really good ones.
I can go downstairs. Go for a run?
But then I remember that I’m as lazy as I am an insomniac.
I can go on Twitter and Facebook. Work on being even more of a
Continue reading Insomnia
ME: (very excitedly) How was summer camp, Sweet Pea!! BABY: It was good … ME: Didn’t you get to play soccer today??!! BABY: Oh… yeah! ME: How was it? Didn’t you go somewhere outside of the school? BABY: Yeah … ME: Oh yay!! Where?? BABY: … I think it was Africa. …
Continue reading An Aidyn Short
… no … not really …
However, saying it out loud is the first step, right?
Before anyone sends me a life-sized Statue of Liberty doll with a note attached that says “NOOO! Don’t go!”, I’m not physically leaving the city … just yet.
Recently, my mind
Continue reading I’m Leaving New York City …