My Dearest Baby Boy,
We’ve known each other for well over nine years now and I am so proud of the little man that stands before me each day. Age 9 is a fantastic age.
I thought for your 9th birthday, I’d list a few fun facts about the number 9:
- When people say they’re “on cloud nine” … it usually means that they’re very happy. For Mommy, this kind of happiness could mean there’s a new Ryan Gosling movie coming soon.
- In French the word neuf means both nine and new — so for you, this rings so true: you’re nine and starting a new birthday year =D … How fun, right?!
- Nine judges sit on the United States Supreme Court — but if you ask Mommy, this doesn’t really matter as none of them really do anything but disagree and delay things. But, more on this subject when you’re about 18yrs old …
- A human pregnancy ordinarily lasts for nine months and the fact that you were born after roughly eight months proves that you’re extraordinary — just like I’ve been telling you since your birth.
You have grown to be such a beautiful and kind little boy. You gain a little more independence each day, much to Mommy’s bittersweet dismay. I will never in my life produce anything or anyone quite as unique and wonderful as you. And I look forward to the beautiful and kind man I’m so sure you’ll become.
I would like to take this moment to remind you of a few things, in case turning nine leaves you confused on some issues:
- You will never be too old to be put on “time out” and yes, it will ALWAYS feel that way when I say “you’re on time out!”
- Mommy will always be here to help with your boo boo’s … including the ones that will eventually be caused by unsavory little whores girls.
- I will never feel comfortable with you riding your bike or scooter that far away from me.
As I end yet another birthday letter to my precious baby boy, I reflect on the significance of this moment. From learning to walk to getting our apartment, we’ve accomplished many firsts together and yet there are so many more to come. So, as you enjoy your scooter ride through life, remember to be careful, look straight ahead, but don’t stray too far away from me.
Forever your #1 fan,